
That's the pic from the website - ours didn't look as good and the onions were far more purplish due to wine-soakedness. And we were drinking the wine as the burgers were cooking which made me forget all about taking a picture anyhow. It's a miracle the burgers even got onto a bun. The recipe was super easy and the result was onion-tastic. I'd add it to the monthly rotation of things we eat but maybe bison doesn't sit so well with E? (Hmm. I think I promised not to post that on the blog). We'll have to try it again to find out.
In other news, I ventured onto the interwebs to start the 09-10 job marketing process: spending hours composing grovelly emails to entice/secure letter-writers, updating (read: rewriting) the job letter, etc. Anna Deavere Smith (who I saw perform in Chambana and was awesome) says that life is about managing doubt and that couldn't be more apt re: clicking on H-Net Job Browse.
The humidity is 98%! I thought 98% would feel much worse than it does or maybe it's just here that it doesn't feel so bad. I think corn humidity might be different than coastalish humidity because Chambana felt way more oppressive. Or maybe I'm just remembering it that way (sorry Chambanans).
Monty and I met the new weekend-nights security guard for the apt building. The usual questions ensued. "What kind of dog is THAT?" As if I'm walking a three-headed dog. "How do you not know what kind of dog you have?" As if mutts of unknown origin don't exist. "Is his hair always like that?" As if I intentionally give my dog a weird faux-hawk. The guard (I didn't catch his name) stared at Montoya like he was a bit afraid of him and then finally said, "I like him. He seems really down-to-earth." So *heart* new security guard. Aside: Monty is not down-to-earth. He thinks *he's* the security guard for the building and also monarch. Not Aside: the weekday-nights security guard is named Roz and seriously, has anyone ever met someone named Roz who wasn't awesome?
ALSO, funded by the Bank of YFALF (yes, it came to that) we went major teaching-clothes shopping and here's another reason why Balto rocks: the Towson megamall delivered a plethora of business casual (hello sweater vest!) attire in a variety of sizes that actually fit me. Thank you diverse population! No more having to choose between sororitute teeny-wear and Mom jeans! And there's size inflation here so I fit into a size that I haven't worn since I was 20 - I'll fall for flattery of that nature any day of the week. Flashing the snazzy new faculty ID will get me 15% off so membership (borderline or not) has its privileges. Oh Towson megamall, will I grow to hate you? For now we are friends.
Ah, I haven't read in days (must remember to check from work computer), but this is all gold. ~ABjr
ReplyDelete