As promised, here are the pics from last night's steamed crab feast. The Superfresh (*heart*) had already seasoned them, so I just steamed them for a couple of minutes and added some chives to make like I was doing something. (NB: the pic above is NOT a crab porn shot, like E says it is. They are dead! That's just how they fit in the steamer.)
Also, I learned how to tell the difference between a male and female crab! The crab below is a male crab because the thingy on the bottom is all pointy. Female crabs have more rounded thingies. Forgive me for all the scientific jargon.
Ripping their legs off and cracking their shells was really fun in a hunter-gatherer sort of way but also a lot of work. And crabs have like 8 sets of lungs and stuff. So while we were both happy with Crab Saturday Night (and I'll be using the 2 leftover crabs in paella tonight) I think we are going to move on to crab options where the ripping, cracking, and picking has already been done by others (hello crab cakes!) or doesn't have to be done (come here you soft-shelled devil). But still, the meat was truly delicious and 6 crabs (albeit small ones) for $12.00? Who can beat it!The beer we chose (read: had available) to compliment un-kosher crab meal was the very kosher He'Brew:

We were saving it for a rainy brisket day, but g-d damnit, it went well with crab.
In other news, it's effing hot here. Like 97 degrees Farhenheit (35C for those of you using civilized temperature measurements). This is really affecting my Baltimore enjoyment and Monty and E are melting, a/c or no a/c. In a sick twist, our giant fan crapped out - one of the fins (is that what you call them?) actually broke off while in motion, went flying around the fan compartment, got dislodged in some section, and shorted the whole thing out! Scared the bejeezus out of me. Was this about the J-beer with crab, g-d? It was really delicious, alls I'm sayin.
Same day, the toaster broke. This, however, is no tragedy. I couldn't be happier about the toaster kicking it and here's why:
What kind of sick fuck would produce an electrical device with only a foot-long cord?? It barely plugs into plugins that are RIGHT BEHIND IT. Toaster, I've hated you for 7 years and now you're dead. I hope you are burning toast in hell! RIP, toaster, RIFP.Tomorrow's goals include purchasing one or more fans and possibly new toaster or toaster oven. Now that Monty and I have located an acceptable nearby park, next goal will also be to locate Asian Food Mart. I want to find lotus!
Quaint pics of apartment building and neighborhood to follow...
Huzzah to the return of the D-blog! Now, darn it, I hope I can get this to post. This newfangled "select profile" option is giving me fits--and, no, I am not 74 years old (but sometimes, I admit, I do talk like it.) Sheesh.
ReplyDeleteP.S. I suspect skinn is someone who recently found an awesome kite on his porch.
Huzzah to melissa! You seem to be using the technology just fine and you're my favorite 74-year old! That kite *is* awesome but I'm sad to say I never flew it. So I hope it flies!
ReplyDelete