I can't believe that I waited until the third post to make an "Inner City Pressure" reference! You want to hear it now, right? YouTube provides all: here.
As sad as I am to admit it, today Baltimore: 23, D/ef: 0. E woke me up by saying, "So Monty and I went by where we parked the car last night and it wasn't there," causing my bowels to nearly explode. She continued, "But the good news is, I don't think it's been stolen. I think it's been towed."
Good news, indeed! To the tune of $262 plus a $2.50 service charge for using a debit card. It would have been $12 if I'd used a credit card which is just douchebaggery if there ever was a bag of douche. But the car was liberated, Monty was delighted for a walk downtown, and I was called "ma'am" several times in a tone that is difficult to describe in text. As if the impound-worker concentrated all the angsty exasperation he felt about dealing with idiots like me day in and day out into a single, drawn out syllable, "ma'aaaam."
The Parking Issue will live to thwart us for many a moon, I fear. The apartment building charges something like $135/month for a parking pass which is highway robbery. We're #4 on the waiting list, says Bldg. Mgr. Jason. The temporary parking permit we have for the neighborhood is good in all Area #28 designation zones but fuck me if that designation is easily discernable and also the pass is void street cleaning days. Which are every Tuesday (ie tomorrow). Thus, every Monday night Area #28 becomes a massive clusterfuck for parking spaces. We began looking for a legal space just after 4pm today; poor E came back from her successful capture of said space shortly after 7pm. She says the space is down by the Washington Monument and she is 75% certain it is legal. The 25% uncertainty comes by virtue of the fact that the space was available at all. Fingers crossed for tomorrow morning!!!
In another loss to inner city living, Monty rolled in street puke. And totally loved it. He was prancing down the street as if he owned the B'more while other pedestrians ran to get out of smell range of the puke-covered dog. It was purplish. Monty declined to be photographed.
Tried to find an asian food store and succeeded (yay!) but it was having a going-out-of-business sale and the only things left in the store were stuff we could get at Safeway. So grocery fail. Also, we never did get a chance to buy that fan. Today's high was 98F (37C).
Damn you, Balto! *shakes fist* You've foiled us today but we will win the war!!! To ensure maximum recovery for tomorrow, have purchased one peach pie that I fully intend to eat in its entirety (will share with E, I promise) tonight and watch as many episodes of Six Feet Under as I have the emotional strength for.
Please join me in thanking my friend and former co-worker, Lisa Thirty, for ensuring that merkin became a part of my daily vocab! She expressed dismay at going uncredited in my previous merkin post and I wanted to rectify that as soon as possible. Lisa is awesome.
I am extremely curious to know the results of your survey. Because I want to know how it is that a native english speaker could *not* know what it means or at least figure it out from context.
ReplyDeleteI'm curious too. But I feel you've tainted the poll with your opinion weigh-in. What kind of anthro are you?!?!
ReplyDeleteWow! That's some serious inner city pressure.
ReplyDeletePressure ... bowels .... douchebag ... cleaning days ... fist ... merkin ... rectify .... heeheehee. And they say I'm just a selective listener.
ReplyDeleteI am not tainting the poll--I'm just doing the observation part of "participant observation"... Besides auto ethnography is all the rage so I'm jst sticking to disciplinary standards.
ReplyDelete