First, the move went smoothly -- it was really gorgeous. I couldn't recommend Randy at Twin City Movers (217-355-1516) more. Yeah, it cost us some money but the movers were fast and courteous, the total amount was exactly the number that Randy quoted us, they showed up when they were supposed to, they did their job without any hassle, and we've unpacked probably about 75% of it and so far nothing is broken! *Heart* Randy. Also, he has no thumbs. But he is one hell of a mover! He's also a talker, so be prepared for that when you call. Once again, that number is 217-355-1516.
Also, I'd like to take this opportunity to acknowledge my own mad packing skillz with this telling photo:

Points to anyone who can guess what that is!! I hate to unwrap it because my work is so awesome (and I kind of like the Eiffel Tower look of it now) but I think that will be the project for tomorrow. Yep, that's our apartment in the background. I will post better pics of everything after we have it set up properly but for now, consider this a teaser.
Here we are, Day 6 of the relocation to Baltimore! So far, I'm giving the city two thumbs up! We've been unpacking and doing logistical work for the last 6 days. Obtained: 1 temporary residential parking permit that required me to show passport, visa paperwork, car registration, apartment lease, and driver's license and explain where exactly Alberta was; groceries – Lucerne cheese, who knew I'd miss your mediocre qualities so much?; Thai takeout, yum. Also much time has been invested in finding places for Monty to take a dump (so far the block and a half across the street from the apartment building looks like the only place for miles, though he totally shat all over the pavement a couple blocks over one day and didn't seem to mind too much).
The cable guy visited the apartment and used his powers to set up the internet. He also gave us cable TV which I haven't had for 6 years!!! I've become completely hooked on Project Runway reruns, Pawn Stars, and live sports. Sports! There appears to be baseball on at all times, either the Washington Nationals or the Balto Orioles. I've learned the difference between the two, and that's the first step. When the cable guy was here, we had a mysterious exchange.
Cable guy: You all from a different city?
Me: Yes. We've just moved here from Champaign, Illinois.
Cable guy: Oh no!
??????????? What did he mean? I look fo
But because we've spent so much time unpacking and whatnot, today we decided to just walk around and see what's out there. It's about a 45 minute walk from the apartment building to the Harbour, just straight down one very pleasant, rowhouse-lined road. It was gorgeous! There was a boat!

We were looking for places to get a steamed crab but really the harbour was crawling with tourists (ie// NOT us, because we *live here*). Spotted: a frozen custard stand, with chocolate-vanilla softserve twist cone
The Washington Monument is about 20 minutes from the apartment building so we passed it on the way back. It's the first Washington Monument erected in America because blah blah…American history… blah blah. So I made E take a picture of me in front of it. Unfortunately, she neglected to warn


That's got to be that thing Bruce brought back from Mexico, right? Whatever it is, you shouldn't unwrap it. It must be displayed on the public square as art.
ReplyDeleteWait...(wipes away tears after merkin comment...)
ReplyDeleteOK.
So glad to see you guys are settling in to your new environs. I can't wait to learn what the cable guy meant.
When I was last in Baltimore, I bought this mug:
http://www.marylanddelivered.com/images/crabbycoffeemug.jpg
It is an effective means of communication at 6am.
Also, would you mind if I post your blog on my own? (In the "blogs I read" column). I have fond memories of reading your London blog; looking forward to what comes of this one.
This may be the first post ever--in the history of the world anywhere for all time--with the labels "crab, merkin, movers, washington." Historic.
ReplyDeleteRandali, you are completely right. The Eiffel Tower is the Bruce treasure! Your comment has inspired me to leave it packed up for at least another week.
ReplyDeleteGenius mug, JD. I was thinking of getting a T-shirt like that for my dad for Xmas. Beats O paraphernalia, right? I would be honored to have a shout-out on your blog and have responded in kind! I don't know if B-more blog can ever come close to the London blog, but I can try.
Who are you, skinn? Whoever you are, I suspect that you are awesome.
who's got the great gazoo shirt? nice.
ReplyDeleteI am awesome.
ReplyDelete