Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Let's face it, fall is depressing.

Ah, Canadian Tire money, how I'd forgotten about you! Has anyone in the history of the world ever collected enough Canadian Tire money to actually purchase anything? It might be that for every hundred dollars you spend, you receive 10 glorious CT cents, which would then be an even shittier proposition than airmiles, and that's really saying something. I ran "CT money" through the wikipedia hub and lo! there's an entry for it and get this: it's been around since 1958. Which means if I pool my CT money with my father's and what I inherited from my grandmother I might just have enough for that lightbulb. Not including GST. I would wager that over half the car-owning population of Canada has CT money in their glove compartments. I imagine archaeologists in the future collecting vast swaths of it from landfills and inferring that Canadians worship that dumbass smiling Scotsman. And we do.

Also, you know you live in a yuppie neighborhood when this is your junkmail:
Let's face it, fall is depressing. I had zero trick-or-treaters come to my door. The fact that approximately 16,000 children live on my block (their constant street hockey games have gone from being quaint to annoying) means that they purposefully stayed away from the three rental 'plexes. Because everyone knows that only diplomats, serial killers, and perverts rent in Ottawa and that means crappy candy on Halloween. Either you're at the clambakes in a sing-along with your spouse and 2.1 children or you're Mr. Cellophane, no in-betweens. Perhaps this point is related to a noticeable demographic I think might be endemic to the 'twa: people who I would swear up and down are The Gay and then turn out to be straight-married. I feel like I've met at least a dozen Sally and Sal Romanos now and I'm sorry Ottawa, I just don't buy it.

It's about that time when there are no leaves anymore but there is no snow either. Yes, I will curse the snow enough when it comes so I should just shut it. But I find this time the most depressing one of the year. Is it because it feels like I won't see ef for 1000 days? Is it because of the results of the Toronto and US elections? Is it because this is That Time of the Semester when all my students start whining about due dates and emailing me with traumatic shit about dead grandparents, house fires, and cancer scares? Or is it just that November depression I get every year.

In other news, I have to go to Canadian Tire to get an area rug before my yoga-loving mother gets here next week. So I should be rolling in the CT money soon!

3 comments:

  1. So of course I had to go to the CT Wiki to find out about this weirdness. Too bad Sandy McTire isn't a real person. He looks like one rockin' dude. I really need to visit you soon, so *I* can get my CT money!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone should collect CT money once in their lives. Monty and I await your arrival, LAS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like serial killers would give out really good candy.

    ReplyDelete