Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Two Cities

E and I sometimes watch the same TV show at the same time and then talk to each other on skype during the program - like how we would do if we were in the same room, really. The program is the same but the commercials are different.

Topics of discussion:

1) All American sports are on a two or three second time delay compared to the same sporting event on Canadian television. This has only been a problem when we watch basketball -- my outbursts of joy or non-joy effectively spoil every shot/turnover for her. :)

2) Local news comparisons:

The promos for Global TV Toronto's News at 11 tonight promised the inside scoop on whether or not a broken heart can *actually* lead to physical pain and how cleaning up my desk at work can help my career.

MEANWHILE

Local Balto news promos promised info on a college woman who was murdered, a local dog-fighting ring, and how George Clooney was called to testify in Berlusconi's sex trial.

What conclusions can be drawn?
A) Toronto is extremely lame safe, Balto appears to be a real city
B) Canadian newswatchers are excessively lame gullible and satisfied with the news equivalent of Muzak; can local Balto news be renamed "Things White People Care About"?
C) Sucktastic local news is a transnational phenomenon

3) Has the Kalinda-boots-and-mini-skirt look finally jumped the shark?

4) Has anyone in the history of the universe ever actually won anything at Rrrrrrrrolll up the Rrrrrrim to win?? It might be a scam.

In other news, no one in my 2nd year lecture knew who Jodie Foster was. I am now officially old.

3 comments:

  1. Don't forget the sadness of having shows that appear in the U.S. at *all* but not in CA. It's a good thing I don't have Food Network anymore. You couldn't have taken me watching the Great Food Truck Race without you. :)

    ef

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it all right for me to say/write how cute this post is? I hope so, because it's sooo cute (and I'm not being sarcastic--I do have a heart that beats occasionally).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute? Hmm. I don't think I've ever been called cute before. For realz!

    ReplyDelete