Thursday, March 17, 2011

:|

The earthquake in Japan and the daily wait to hear horrible news about some nuclear disaster is terrifying. I don't know what this says about me but the first thing I thought when I heard the news (waking up to CBC Radio 2) was that all the terrible things that we always predict will happen someday in some unknown future will actually happen. It was a running joke with my friends (many from Asia) to talk about how Japan will just disappear in an earthquake or be submerged when the ice caps melt some day. But all those smoking volcanoes and cities built on fault lines and all that stuff is not just some Hollywood bullshit, it's really going to happen maybe any day now. :| I know this isn't news to anyone but for some reason I'm just really sad about it. The nuclear power plant stuff is horrific - I remember going to the beach in Fukushima and seeing the power plant in the distance. I just feel really sick to my stomach about it. I'm happy and relieved to hear that most of the people I know over there are safe and sound for the time being (or have left the country) but just waiting and waiting to hear about some disaster that will likely be even worse than I can imagine is...I don't even know what a good word is for it.

The Candouchery of the Canadian news cannot be overstated: I'm so relieved to hear that Canadia is sending 6 bandaids and a medic over; I really give a shit that Stephen Harper has expressed his regret for the incident; I'm sure the three nuclear experts from Ontario who are currently en route are really going to tell the Japanese something they don't already know about the situation, good work Ontario; wow, hearing about what Canadians stranded at Narita airport think about anything was my first informational priority too, thanks CTV; thanks, CBC, for informing me that Canadian diplomats are on standby to be airlifted out of Tokyo - again, cutting right to the heart of the matter. In hell, I'll only be allowed to watch Canadian news to hear what Joe from Waterloo's thoughts are about hell, eh. I realize that the CBC has limited means to accomplish its work but it's one thing to have a parochial budget and another thing to not only work within but actively promote COMPLETE PAROCHIAL FUCKTARDARY. Was it always like this and I can only see it now?

Anyway, not a fun or funny blog update, I suppose, all apologies.

No comments:

Post a Comment