Bank Street is amazing because it has all the kinds of stores a person could want (usually more than once, I'm looking at you highend kitchen stores) along it at some point, from bagels to futons to Walmart. In our general vicinity is about a zillion maternity stores, of which this one has the most disturbing name:
My favorite so far is "Queen Mother Maternity." There's also tonnes of precious-shit-for-babies stores. In the too-precious-but-still-useful-to-me category is:
It is crosslisted with ridiculous-overuse-of-the-word-'global', a large and diverse category. Another precious-but-useful place I look forward to visiting is:
Fueled by ultra-organic, fairtrade, recyclable, almost-ethical coffee we powered on to campus!The campus is a perfect example of postwar Canadian university architecture and reminds me of the buildings where I did my undergrad. This is the great structure where the history dept is kept:
It is scheduled for demolition but everyone says that that will only happen in some sort of mythical future where we have lots of money. The building looks out onto the quad where a number of groundhogs/giant gophery things live:
The dept itself is like Free To Be...You and Me exploded all over a university and I kinda love it:
The door to my office enclave is yellow (my name is Contract Instructors in this photo but the sign has since been changed):
and my office is located behind a storage area for the grad secretary.
The weird chair will be taken away when my new chair comes and there's a window!!!
As you can see, I've done a lot of decorating (U-Box, when will you arrive?!). Many people have stopped by to visit me (which is really nice) and they say, "This used to be my office, once."This is the view from the window - it opens onto a strange ledge:
Which kind of overlooks these druid ruins where the Ents meet:
I also scoped out where my class meets, and it's in this building with stairs and stuff that remind me of the subway system in DC:
Anyhow, that's what it all looks like!E has gone back to Balto now so we (Monty and I) are sad but plowing on until we get to see her again in October. My class starts next week and as soon as Labour Day was over, autumn descended so it really feels like Back to School.
Thanks for the photo updates! I recommend you go to _Serious Cheese_ and get some mimolette. Heavenly!
ReplyDeleteI am thinking of you and E and M and hoping that your October reunion is here before you know it!
M
I second the visit to Serious Cheese! Serious Cheese!
ReplyDeleteWill try to get there this weekend! Mimolette, you say? If they don't have anything in a mimolette, I might go for a goat or manchego variety. . .
ReplyDeleteNow I know what CanadiaLand/Carlton looks like. It ain't no Butler stone though! waaa waaaaah - Librarian Friend
ReplyDeleteNice digs! New pics of decorated office? -SP
ReplyDelete