Saturday, October 13, 2012

14 Days

14 days until E is back!!! Neither Montoya nor I can wait!!! He, especially, methinks because his life has been a world of suck since his 24/7 personal servant left him. He's like Robert Crawley after Mr. Bates went away -- bewildered and dishevelled.  Montoya doesn't use the phone, though.  I haven't started watching Season 3 yet so don't tell me anything about it!

At the halfway point until E comes back and almost exactly halfway through the semester.  Things are going as well as can be expected, really!

So today I have two things I'm thinking about, neither of which are terribly important or pressing but it's  Saturday and I'm a little hungover (Prof H's birthday last night, very fun).

1.  Because so many of you are parents or older and wiser than me, I want to plumb your knowledge. I live in a neighbourhood that's overflowing with children and family pets.  I see some things. This is a little segment new to the blog I want to call:
Good Parenting or Bad Parenting?

Scenario:  Father and two children (6-8 year olds, I guess) are out for an afternoon bike ride.  They are all properly attired in helmets and gear, are riding their bikes on the street, but are not keeping tight to the curb at all.  Car, clearly going too fast for a residential area, zooms by them, scares everyone, and jolts to a stop, intending to turn left.  Father rides his bike over to the stopped car and bitches out the driver for Driving Too Fast in a Residential Area Where There Are Children On Bikes.  Car driver flips Daddy-O the bird and zooms off.  Father rides back to his children and they resume their bike ride, altering their behaviour in zero ways.  Good Parenting or Bad Parenting?

A)  Good parenting! Father has modelled excellent citizen behaviour by stepping up and letting the guilty party know that they are the guilty party and that We Are Watching You and that bad behaviour will get an angry Talking To.  Children feel like Father has their back and is possibly bad-ass.

B) Bad parenting! The correct response would have been for Father to go to his children and explain how there are assholes everywhere and alls they can do is be vigilant and Look Out For Assholes and not expect all cars to drive by/around them amusedly.

C) Um, that wasn't parenting so much as Alpha Male behaviour.  Take-away message for children is either that Dad is the Shit or Dad Thinks He's the Shit or Fast-Car-Driver is the Shit.

D) I can't believe I read this much text and this is all it's amounted to.  Shame on you, D.  Shame on you.

E) Other (please explain).

2.  Here's another segment I want to introduce to the blog called:
Who's the Asshole?

No, this is not an alternate title for Two and a Half Men.  This is real life.

Scenario: My father and I don't really have the best relationship.  From the age of 8 until just a few years ago, I thought of him like how I imagine schoolchildren think of their schoolyard bully.  It's only since he's retired and has, I think, begun to feel old and irrelevant that he's also begun to be much less of an asshole.  His behaviour has changed so dramatically that I'm worried that he's been either diagnosed with some horrible disease he's not telling me about or is doing the 12 Steps (again).  Our latest email exchange is an example.

Oct 1, YFALF: HEY KID, YOUR MOTHER SAID YOU GAVE A PAPER THE OTHER DAY THAT WENT PRETTY WELL.  SEND IT TO YOUR OLD MAN AND I'LL READ IT.  MIGHT BE INTERESTING TO SEE WHAT YOU WRITE ABOUT.

Oct 4, D: Really? I feel strongly that it will cure all insomnia.  In the middle of my talk someone stood up to shake out their legs.  See attached!

Oct 5, YFALF: Brown Eyes: FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH, I ENJOYED YOUR PAPER IMMENSELY.  YOU FOCUSED ON AREAS THAT I DON'T THINK HAVE BEEN ANALYZED IN THAT WAY BEFORE. I WOULD APPRECIATE IT IF YOU SEND ME SOME OTHERS THAT YOU HAVE DONE.

[D thinks to self: Am I being punk'd???? What the hell is going on????]

Oct 7, D: Thanks for this, Dad! Okay, you asked for it! See attached for a couple of other papers I gave last year and my job talk!

Oct 8, YFALF: JUST FINISHED READING ALL OF YOUR PAPERS AND ENJOYED THEM ALL VERY MUCH.  I DON'T ALWAYS AGREE WITH YOUR OPINIONS BUT YOU MAKE THEM IN A VERY IMPACTFUL WAY AND I ADMIRE THAT VERY MUCH. YOUR IDEAS ABOUT CREDIT ARE WAY OFF BUT WHAT THE HELL.  SOME DAY I WOULD LIKE TO WATCH ONE OF YOUR CLASSES.

[D thinks to self: um, those aren't opinions but okay, I'll take this.  WHAT. IS. HAPPENING?!]

Oct 10, D: Thanks, Dad! That's really great to hear! 

Oct 12, YFALF: I'VE BEEN THINKING A LOT ABOUT THE SPICE TRADE AND I THINK I WANT TO WRITE A BOOK ABOUT IT.  YOU'VE INSPIRED ME, KID!

I haven't written back yet because seriouslywhatthefuck.  Has my sister hacked into his email account and is playing the best-planned prank of her life?  Am I a complete asshole for immediately thinking, I've gone to school for the last fifteen years so that I can become qualified to write this shit and you presume to critique my work? And then you presume to be able to do it yourself? I'm also a little miffed that he can be a world-class A-hole for 36 years and I'm supposed to be all elated that he's finally treating me like a human?  Have I become the asshole?  Is this the circle of life?

I have absolutely no idea what to make of any of this.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment