Suffice it to say: it isn't a fall semester if I don't have some exhausting autistic kid with a crush on me. In movies, it's always the smarmy playa lit Prof with the turtleneck and fancy car (?!) that gets all the "Love Yous" written on the eyelids. Or the outrageously attractive blonde-woman-genius prof who is fatally romanced by some hunky undergrad who turns out to be a serial killer and the whole plot is really just a made-for-TV tale of how women are in danger if they leave the private sphere. Or the TAs get all the action (with impunity). Or the students sleep with all the TAs and profs with complete impunity because everyone is cool with it and that's just how it is in Cool Workplace - except for the obligatory prenancy scare/harassment lawsuit during sweeps months. But I think the usual story is this: lonely, freakish 20-something bugs the shit out of fav prof because s/he mistakes friendly customer service for some kind of epic connection. The title of this episode is called, "Please just get the fuck out of my office so I can write the lecture for tomorrow."
Sycophants are at least easy to manage, but autistic kid thinks its fun (? or whatever fun is in his world) to challenge fav prof on EVERYTHING. Finally, in latest
And I've already said too much.
The vegetables continue to get delivered. That is not code for anything - I am not referring to my students or my lectures or my colleagues as vegetables. I refer to actual vegetables. This was in the latest batch:
They are 10,000 useless, dirty, sandy carrots about the size of a pinky. Wtf. Not only do they give me the willies, they are an actual representation of The Willies. Along with these beauties came 7 parsnips, which is just mean. Vegetable gods, are we really at the parsnip stage already? Am I going to be eating a steady stream of beets and parsnips and shitty carrots now until the spring? I will have to buy a goat.Everyone has those moments when you find yourself in a situation and suddenly the camera angle changes to wideangle god-shot and you look down on creation and realize every single thing is completely absurd. These are usually welcome parts of my day but they can also be dangerous: once, in Genetics class in the '90s, I had a moment of crazy when I realized that everyone in the 300+ lecture hall had one of those clicky 4-colour ball-point pens (remember those?) and everytime the prof would change colours on the overhead projector sheets he was writing on (remember that?) everyone else in the lecture hall would change colours with a resounding CLICK. He was the conductor to a 300-person orchestra of clicky pens. I flipped out for exactly a year and half after that. There were other circumstances surrounding the flip-out, to be sure, but that was the Archduke Ferdinand. But, bygones. That's what your early '20s are for, right?
Instead of talking more about my job, I bring you the following: things that reliably cause a Moment like what I'm talking about above.
1. Every time I flip by a French channel and its showing an American movie or TV show that is dubbed in French. Like, Californication or Field of Dreams. For fans of Californication, it was the "stinky pinky" scene that I came across and I wish to hell that I could remember how they translated all that. Also, perhaps this scene is making me hate my carrots more.
2. Every time I see a Friends rerun. A Friends rerun in French will probably cause a clicky-pen-like breakdown but I haven't come across that perfect storm just yet.
3. Invigilating exams in the big gyms where I walk down a massive row of students, turn around to walk back, and realize that I can see all of their ass cracks coming out of their pants. Rows and rows and rows of crack.
4. Every time I see groups of woo-girl students greet each other with, "Hey, Bra!" I guess it's like the ubiquitous use of the word, "Dude" but also recalls that movie North Shore where I, like Sarah Vowell, was introduced to key Hawaiian surfer-gang slang. 

5. Every time I give a lecture and hear nothing but "Shit, fuck, cock, balls," as my inner monologue during said lecture. Which is to say: every time.
There needs to be a viral movement for TT profs, esp. in the first couple of years akin to the 'it gets better' Dan Savage thing. The teaching gets better, the students don't.
ReplyDeleteTell the autistic kid that no one likes a know-it-all, then ritually shame him next time he opens his trap. We have a faculty member like that.
Also, Starbucks in a Starbucks is perhaps the greatest picture ever.
You could always send the lot of us a missive. Or do like one of our former colleagues and construct an alter-alter ego for this blog. His was Angry Bear. Yours could be...I'll let you decide.
ReplyDeleteWhen life hands you root vegetables, make soups and stews: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/winter-minestrone-10000001696593/ and http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/roasted-chicken-noodle-soup-10000000520991/ The former is good with a decent plug of red wine in the soup and another on the side; the latter a nice use of leftover chicken. This one was decidedly mediocre and took me all day to make, but uses more root veg than you'd ever imagine: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/mushroom-root-vegetable-potpie-50400000110463/
ReplyDeleteI also second Debbie's call for a missive.
The kid. THAT kid.
ReplyDeleteAll I can say is...this ain't your first time to the rodeo.
Your niceness is going to kill you. Maybe you should do what my HNAC does (Hot Nonsexual Academic Crush)--totally brilliant, but rocks himself a little back and forth, makes no eye-contact and speaks without any acknowledgement of "spaces" or "periods." So weirdly distracting that he can say things like "No, you're wrong" or "That's incorrect" "I need some alone time now" without offending anyone.