We've already discussed Legend of the Seeker. En par with LOTS, and for basically the same reason, would be:
I tried to find an ensemble pic with the rest of the cast but I couldn't, so maybe this promo tells you all of what you need to know about how they're selling Nikita. I should also include Covert Affairs here
because it's a similar thing and the lead, Piper Perabo, is Canadian, something the promos continually mention, as if the actress is doing her patriotic duty by pretending to be an American character for an American network.Both series are based on movie franchise premises - Nikita is smarter and darker (that doesn't mean it's smart) and Covert Affairs only promises to be smarter and darker at some point wayyy in a future that will never happen because we know the central character will win in the end and continue to look pretty. Interestingly, both shows hinge on the relationship between two central female characters (Nikita and Alex in Nikita and Joan and Annie in Covert Affairs) and both have a supporting male hovering in the background (Michael in Nikita, Augie in Covert) to distract us from this fact.
Both shows are ridiculous and disposable but I would argue in a quality way. I prefer Nikita to Covert Affairs and there is plenty of Canadian content in both.
Okay, that was it for the high-brow portion of this blog post because now, here are the real guilty pleasures. ie/ Shows I watch that I fully concede have no value whatsoever but if they're on, I am drawn to the television screen like an undergrad to the phrase "this will be on the test." Basically anything on the Outdoor Life Network (only in Canada - on a number of levels) that isn't about a man eating himself into a coma or baiting snakes will enthrall me. This includes and is not limited to:
1) Ghosthunters. I KNOW!! I KNOW!!! But I fucking love it. AND it scares the crap out of me. I KNOW!!! I KNOW!!! I can't defend it. It is a TOTAL waste of time. I love it so much!

2) Conspiracy Theory with Jesse Ventura. He totally has me convinced about the 9/11 coverup and shit! His level of seriousness is similar to Gary Busey's level of seriousness and that's mesmerizing.
3) MantrackerNo! It's not some program about lazy twenty-somethings who want to entrap a millionaire into some kind of marriage or child support scenario. This isn't Bravo.
I suddenly realize that my television-watching habits might indicate me as the next Unibomber. Judging from the commercials I see most frequently, I'm definitely supposed to be buying a truck and worrying about erectile disfunction.
[Aside: Q: Why haven't you mentioned Deadliest Catch in this post, D?!? A: Because DC isn't crap television, it is all quality.]
Did you watch Gold Rush Alaska? it's among the many, many copies of Deadliest Catch Discovery produces. I didn't watch it most of the season but caught a marathon in Houston. And was drawn in... No surprise.
ReplyDeleteMelissa
OMG! Piper Perabo?!? I have serious dirt on that chick. If you want me to burst your bubble, I can unload all sorts of insider intel. Minimally, let me say she is from New Jersey. Not Canadia.
ReplyDeleteWait - what?!?!? YES, I want the dirt!!! I can't believe I've been lied to about Canadian providence - it's the Anna Paquin/Keanu Reeves debacle all over again.
ReplyDeleteOh, also re: Gold Rush Alaska, on your recommendation I searched for it, M, but it comes on a channel that I don't get. But maybe Discovery canada will start running it in the summer, I'm hoping. . .
ReplyDelete*PP's real name: Jessica Stewart. (Piper is her granny's maiden name. Perabo is a cool sounding word she learned in SPAN 102.)
ReplyDelete*Preferred job-preparatory mode: method acting (read: high maintenance on and off the stage/set)
*Graduate of Ohio U, waitressed in Columbus.
*Originally from a NJ suburb of Philadelphia.
how do I know such things? Jman dated her 10 years ago.
So have I completely ruined Covert Affairs for you?
WOW. All of the official lies out there about PP/JS! Jman is awesome for trading up, alls I'm sayin. Oh, you haven't ruined Covert Affairs at all, if anything it makes it way more interesting!
ReplyDeleteThere's something a bit too naif and annoying about Piper Perabo aka J. Stewart. Is it her voice? Her over-earnest manner (I assume this is not acting, as it comes across in all of her roles)? As far as kickass females go, I vote for Lena Headey in Sarah Connor Chronicles. Or Gabrielle Anwar in Burn Notice (except she's anorexic). Hmm. Maybe Milla Jovovich in Resident Evil 1-4.
ReplyDeleteNah! MAGS Bennett--Margo Martindale on Justified! Now that's a kickass woman!
ReplyDeleteOkay, I'm totes with you re: Lena Headey and Milla Jovovich. Not so much Anwar and Martindale. Not so much.
ReplyDelete