Saturday, February 27, 2010

It's the waiting and wondering that really sucks the most...

No word from the Rochester institution yet but in the meantime I've picked up another on-campus! For a school that's a far better move especially in terms of academic prestige but farther away from Balto in both real and imagined ways (it's across the pond in Canadialand). And the Gooch is also making noises about maybe wanting me in more of a substantial role next year (not TT, not full-time, not visa-worthy, of course, let's not lose our heads here folks) but, again, better pay, more responsibility, and the slight hope of something more.

The promise of many different futures (would they all really be that different? or am I completely stupid to imagine that they wouldn't all be so different?) stretch out before me and nothing real has been offered so it all could amount to nothing. Which would mean I could do this all again next year.

This is so Lord of the Rings faux-dramatic.

I have to go throw up.

ps I finally figured out the deal with B'more's slowness re: snow. Remarkably, it's not that snow makes everyone here stupid; it's just that everyone expects us to be stupid about it! I was the stupid one: the bigger the snowmergency, the more $$$ Charm City can get from the federal government re: emergency funds! So the inexplicable ineptness was really in everyone's best interest - the new mayor will come out looking like a genius when the snow melts and the city gets a big fat cheque signed by the president. If we have to rebuild Baltimore one snow emergency at a time, then that's what we have to do. All is revealed.

4 comments:

  1. I don't envy your condition, but chin up, Sweet D. You're gonna make it after all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry, D, but please don't compare yourself to the likes of Frodo and probably Harry Potter. Their drama was incomparable. How dare you? (All kidding aside, you ARE dealing with real-life issues, and I'm sorry that those ivory tower peeps keep playing tug-of-war with your mind. I hope for a great resolution for you--and soon. Vest up, ok?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re: Balto--have you not watched The Wire? I hear that's what it's really like there.

    Also, as long as you're not playing the role of Gollum, your sitch could be so much suckier than Lord of the Rings. I mean you have so many options: noble self-sacrifice, world domination, mild schizophrenia. Film noir be damned, go with the melodrama!

    ReplyDelete