Friday, January 14, 2011

Stumped

Got the organic delivery yesterday and was mostly delighted with all the new veg. Was good to see the usual suspects (apples, carrots), a couple humdingers (tatsoi), and some nice surprises (blood oranges).

But there was one inclusion that has me totally stumped:

A bag of purply-red plants that come with what appear to be their potting soil.

At first I thought it was some sort of herb, maybe basil. But the leaves don't smell like anything (except potting soil) and I ate a leaf and it didn't taste like anything (except leaf).


You wise gardeny-growy epicurious people out there, got any guesses?

The potting-soil part is a bit weird. Am I supposed to plant these again? If so, wtf because it's the middle of winter. Has my organic vegetable company sent me some kind of awesome drug plant that I am too tragically uncool to recognize?

Again: totally stumped. All thoughts very much appreciated.

5 comments:

  1. If it is what I think it is, my mom used to call it "creeping ugly," (no idea of its true name) which was purely ornamental. Too bad it's not purple thai basil--that stuff rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Creeping ugly seems appropriate! I am chopping it up and putting it in everything - bruschetta, stirfry, etc -- to no effect. I hope it's full of vitamins, at least.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And are you still alive? It's not proved poisonous?

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, I think it's a houseplant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. not saying that you can't eat houseplants.

    ReplyDelete